Rules and Information
In addition to the rules & requirements listed below, any exhibit submissions must follow all rules listed on
pages 30-32 of the 2020 Contest Rule Book
For this year's contest, you have the option to create either a physical or a
virtual exhibit. Information about these formats can be found in the sections below.
Whether you create a physical or virtual exhibit, NHD strongly recommends that you create a
simpler exhibit this year — a tri-fold board without the extras. Photographed physical exhibits or virtually
created exhibits cannot adequately represent exhibits that are round, multi-sided, or those with moving parts.
NOTE: If you choose to add multimedia, you can include links in your virtual submission.
Creating a Physical Exhibit
Students opting to create a physical exhibit will, after finishing construction, photograph sections of their
board and type out any text that is visible in those sections.
Your photos and text will be placed in a slideshow-style document (e.g. PowerPoint or Google Slides) for which we
have provided templates in the Resources section below.
- You are welcome to change the fonts, color, size, etc. of the text in the templates, as long as it is legible,
but you may not alter or delete the text or slides.
- You must include a photograph of your entire board on the first slide.
Creating a Virtual Exhibit
Students opting to create a virtual exhibit will create a 1:1 scale virtual exhibit using design software such as
Microsoft Publisher, Google Draw, Photoshop (or a free alternative), etc. We have provided templates in the Resources section below.
Your exhibit must be no more than 74 in. wide and no more than 72 in. tall.
- When laid flat, the maximum size of an exhibit board is 74 in. wide by 72 in. tall and is the size used in
both templates. While it is recommended you use this size, you can make the exhibit smaller.
The minimum font size for a virtual exhibit is 20pt.
All rules that apply to physical exhibits must be followed for virtual exhibits.
The elements required for an exhibit project submission are:
A single, combined PDF containing your written materials and exhibit
You will likely need to export your written materials and exhibit separately
and combine them using software. NHD recommends using Small PDF or I Love PDF to accomplish this. They have also provided a video
demonstrating this process which can be found in the resources section below.
Submitting Your Project
You can repeat the following process as many times as necessary if you need to update your submission.
- Click your name in the top-right section of the contest website and select My Profile.
- The click the Upload File button next to the Written Materials field.
- Click Browse on the dialog that pops up, locate your combined, written materials and
exhibit PDF on your computer, click Open (or double click the file) and then click
NOTE: The size of your PDF must be less than 20 MB.
- This video demonstrates how to combine your documents into a single